Marketing and Communications Specialist
Website City of Gainesville
Are you a creative storyteller? Skilled at using digital and print tools to tell positive stories? An imaginative journalist, copywriter and curator? If so, we want you to join our team!
The City of Gainesville is seeking a highly motivated and experienced Marketing and Communications Specialist who has a passion for journalism and connecting people with great stories. We need your help to develop clear and compelling feature articles for multiple platforms leveraging both existing channels and recommendations for new approaches.
This position works in the Office of Communications and Engagement and will support all City departments in efforts to proactively share accomplishments and accolades through citywide communication pieces and web features with a focus on creating connections between our daily work and the city’s strategic plan.
The position is responsible for enterprising storylines for press content, blogs, videos and feature stories.
The ideal candidate will be a content strategist who has strong writing and editing skills; at least one year of experience with writing articles and press copy; proficiency with digital storytelling and an interest in political science and public policy is a plus.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Depending on the area of assignment:
- Develops or assists in the development of communications and marketing plans to support both short- and long-range organizational objectives.
- Develops or assists in the monitoring, maintenance, and measurement of progress toward communications and marketing objectives.
- Supports organizational initiatives and events, as needed.
- Develops or assists in the development of communications and marketing materials across multiple platforms to include, but not limited to, interactive, mass, target, and broadcast media, special events, and trade shows. Performs set-up and tear-down at special events and trade shows.
- Responsible for production of informational pieces that support communications and marketing efforts. These may include, but are not limited to, newsletters, websites, email, print, social media and other collateral material.
- Assists with, obtains or designs and implements market research.
- Participates in industry organizations.
- Assists in writing of sales and business proposals for products and services.
- Helps maintain accurate customer marketing database.
- Attends work on a regular and continuous basis.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential job function satisfactorily. Below are the required education, experience, knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in communications, English, marketing, public relations, advertising, journalism, or related field and one (1) year experience in communications, marketing, public relations, advertising, or journalism;
Associate degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in communications, marketing, public relations, advertising, journalism, or related field and two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in communications, marketing, public relations, advertising, or journalism.
Upon successful completion of at least two (2) years in the position of Marketing & Communications Specialist and with management’s recommendation, incumbent may progress to the Marketing and Communications Specialist, Senior level.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Limited knowledge of principles, practices, and procedures of communications and marketing.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, and implement special events of limited complexity.
- Ability to analyze problems and marketing results and exercise sound professional judgment in achieving results.
- Ability to keep records and prepare reports.
- Ability to determine appropriate opportunities to reach target audiences, including, but not limited to, interactive, mass, target and broadcast media, social media websites, websites and special events.
- Ability to work with outside contractors such as public relations firms, advertising agencies, designers, videographers, and printers to develop promotional materials.
- Ability to maintain a professional demeanor to communicate and work effectively, both orally and in writing, with employees, customers, the general public, the news media, and elected officials under routine and non-emergency conditions.
- Ability to conduct and analyze research and develop strategies to act upon research findings.
To apply for this job please visit cityofgainesville.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.