Website Hearst Connecticut Media Group
Hearst Connecticut Media Group’s journalists cover communities in Fairfield and New Haven Counties and beyond, serving readers across platforms, including our websites – which now includes a statewide website, CTInsider.com – an app, newsletters, social media accounts and more for eight daily and 13 weekly newspapers.
We’re looking for an enterprising, audience-focused and collaborative Managing Editor to lead the New Haven Register at a time when we’re growing digital subscriptions. The leader for this position should be experienced at elevating the work of reporters with varying levels of experience, producing high-impact enterprise and revelatory journalism that exposes wrongdoing, finds solutions and makes people’s lives better.
The editor should be adept at managing a daily flow of stories to inform and engage local readers. They should be adept at using audience data to inform news coverage decisions, while evolving content with depth, interactivity and reach through a digital lens.
This editor will oversee coverage of vibrant, unique communities located in south central Connecticut and will be based in New Haven, home to Yale University, top restaurants and high-caliber theaters. The editor will also oversee two daily newspapers and staff in Torrington and Middletown, Connecticut.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Works collaboratively with other editors, reporters, photographers and audience team members to tell impactful stories across platforms.
- Elevates reporters’ stories by seizing opportunities for in-depth enterprise and investigative stories including those with statewide, and at times national, reach
- Communicates quickly and effectively with reporters to break news online and follows up when appropriate with more in-depth enterprise pieces
- Demonstrates a high comfort level with analyzing and interpreting metrics and uses them to inform coverage decisions in real-time and the long-term
- Conceptualize and assign stories aimed at growing digital subscriptions, guiding staffers through the reporting process and editing their work with excellent command of grammar, usage and AP style
- Develops the talents of staffers, offering constructive criticism of their work. Coordinates with managers in other newsrooms and non-editorial departments on projects
- Demonstrated experience managing newsroom personnel and producing high-quality breaking news and enterprise journalism across digital and print platforms
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in journalism, English, communications or related field preferred
- Demonstrated success working in a deadline-driven environment
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with a proven ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks
- Ability to speak a second language like Spanish a plus
Some great candidates may not check all the boxes for this role. If you’re a passionate, dedicated worker who’s interested in Hearst Connecticut Media Group but don’t have all the skills listed here, please still reach out and tell us more about what you bring to the table.
This full-time job with benefits is based in New Haven and is not eligible for remote candidates.
Send a cover letter and resume to Hearst Connecticut Media Managing Editor, News John Ferraro at firstname.lastname@example.org and Hearst Connecticut Media Group Managing Editor of Audience Mandy Hofmockel at email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org