Website Hearst Connecticut Media Group
Hearst Connecticut Media Group’s journalists cover communities in Fairfield and New Haven Counties and beyond, serving readers across platforms, including our sites, app, newsletters, social media accounts and more for eight daily and 13 weekly newspapers.
We’re looking for an enterprising, audience-focused and collaborative reporter to join Hearst Connecticut Media Group at a time when we’re growing digital subscriptions.
The Interactive Graphics Reporter will design and develop interactive graphics and data visualizations that inform readers about the most important news and issues of the region while pushing the boundaries of digital storytelling.
Qualified candidates will be comfortable reporting their own visual stories and helping other reporters bring ideas to life. Communication and collaboration skills will be vital.
Hearst Connecticut Media Group is investing in digital visual journalism, and this role provides a unique opportunity for a multi-skilled journalist to make an impact in local communities while benefiting from the support of a national team of engineers and developers.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Design and develop charts, maps and other interactive informational graphics.
- Research, pitch and report original visual daily and enterprise stories.
- Communicate with reporters, editors, audience team, photographers, print production team and other journalists to identify opportunities for visual storytelling.
- Create new and exciting storytelling forms to further our mission to better serve local audiences.
- Build interactive tools to make readers’ lives easier and their communities stronger.
- Front-end web development and data visualization, including component-based frameworks.
- Ability to analyze complex data sets using sound news judgment.
- Experience with backend languages such as Python, Node or PHP is required.
- Working knowledge of Git and Github.
- Proficiency with Excel and Google Sheets.
- Cartography, animation, data-processing and other specialized graphics skills are a plus.
- Newsroom experience and journalistic training
- Demonstrated success working in a deadline-driven environment
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with a proven ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks
Some great candidates may not check all the boxes for this role. If you’re a passionate, dedicated worker who’s interested in Hearst Connecticut Media Group but don’t have all the skills listed here, please still reach out and tell us more about what you bring to the table.
This full-time job with benefits is based in the Hearst Connecticut Media newsroom. This position will have a Monday-to-Friday daytime schedule but weekend and evening work may be required as news warrants.
Send a cover letter, resume and clips for review.
To apply for this job please visit eevd.fa.us6.oraclecloud.com.