Digital Breaking News Reporter and Producer
Website The Texas Newsroom
The Texas Newsroom is seeking a digital breaking news reporter/producer to tell critical statewide stories on multiple digital platforms to audiences across the Lone Star State. The Texas Newsroom is the landmark regional news collaboration of public radio stations across the state and NPR. It includes KERA in Dallas/Fort Worth, KUT in Austin, Houston Public Media and Texas Public Radio in San Antonio. This person will be employed by KERA in Dallas but can live anywhere in the state. We encourage people with diverse backgrounds and perspectives to apply.
Position summary: This is a new, full-time position focused on telling the most important Texas stories of the day to digital audiences across the state. The reporter/producer will write and curate quick-turn breaking news stories based on original reporting and on reporting from partner stations. Assignments may range from writing a breaking news story on a key Texas Supreme Court ruling to pulling together a sweeping story on how debates over mask mandates are playing out in schools around the state. The ideal candidate knows how to spot a great statewide story, write clearly and quickly, infuse breaking stories with context that matters to audiences and prioritize sourcing that reflects the diversity of Texas. This is a highly collaborative position that involves working closely with editors and reporters at multiple public radio stations.
Writing and reporting skills are essential. Radio experience is not required, but the ideal candidate will be willing to learn.
We believe a strong organization includes employees from a range of backgrounds, with different skills and experiences. If you do not meet every position qualification but have some of these skills and feel you could be the right candidate for the job, we would like to hear from you. Please apply and tell us more about yourself.
- Proven ability to write news stories on tight deadlines that are clear, compelling and accurate.
- Sound news judgment and the ability to conceptualize strong statewide stories.
- A deep understanding of journalistic ethics.
- Passion for serving diverse audiences and a demonstrated commitment to diversity in sourcing.
- A track record of working collaboratively.
- Knowledge of Associated Press style.
- Willingness to experiment with different storytelling styles and digital formats.
- Knowledge of Texas issues, history, cultures, geography and politics.
- Experience monitoring online trends using Google Trends, CrowdTangle or other platforms.
- Experience with data journalism or reporting using open records.
- Working knowledge of Spanish and/or other languages common in Texas.
KERA is an Equal Opportunity Employer
KERA believes that diversity is important to our success. We are committed to equal employment opportunity and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, religion, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law.
Complete the application on KERA’s employment page and attach a resume. Include a cover letter summarizing how you’d approach this position, as well as links to 3-5 examples of your best digital stories.
To apply for this job please visit j.brt.mv.