Website APA Florida
Position Overview: APA Florida, a statewide non-profit based in Tallahassee, is seeking a full-time Communications Manager. APA Florida is a membership organization for the planning profession, with the objective of encourage planning that will contribute to public well-being by developing communities and environments that meet the needs of people and of society more effectively. APA Florida’s mission is to provide statewide leadership in the development of sustainable communities by advocating excellence in planning, providing professional development for its members, and working to protect and enhance the natural and built environments.
This position reports to the Executive Director and works very closely with the elected Vice-President of Communications.
The communications manager is responsible for a wide variety of public relations, outreach, and educational functions.
- Developing annual strategic communications plan to support anticipated programs and initiatives and to help increase organization’s visibility and value to members
- Developing proactive media outreach strategies, including news releases, talking points, web content and overall messaging
- Creating monthly editorial and content calendars, to include special events, programs and initiatives
- Implementing all digital efforts, including social media, website, member eblasts and newsletters
- Creating, executing, and analyzing social media interaction including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- Writing and creating creative original website and social media content with the goal of increasing website traffic and social media reach and engagement
- Maintaining and updating the chapter website
- Designing, creating, and disseminating monthly electronic newsletters to members
- Creating and disseminating, with the assistance of the Editorial Committee and a contract graphic designer, the quarterly newsletters to members.
- Ensuring messaging between all platforms is consistent with the overall brand of the organization and looking for new ways to promote the organization
- Executing photography and video projects for social media and website
- Providing training to chapter leadership and volunteers on the website and eblast platforms
- Providing communications support to local sections
- Collaborating with internal and external contacts as needed to ensure effective, well-executed campaigns and programs
- Keeping current with technology and trends for communications
- Ability to travel to the annual conference, and other specific events as needed
- Performing other related duties as required
Education and Experience :
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing, public relations, or related field, and minimum of three to five years’ experience doing similar work OR
- an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that would reasonably be expected to provide the job-specific competencies noted below
- Experience with email marketing software is required
- Experience with WordPress and Wagtail website software is preferred.
- Experience with social media or public relations campaigns is preferred.
- Previous non-profit work is desired
Job-Specific Competency Requirements Include:
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of public relations/media relations strategy development
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of social media platforms and target audiences
- Excellent digital platform skills, including website design and content, video and audio production, and social media expertise
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing with an attention to detail and accuracy. Strong writing skills required
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Outlook is required.
- Knowledge of graphics and video production tools used to create social media content
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, and strong editorial ability
- Ability to use considerable initiative, think independently and exercise sound judgement
- Ability to create content for public relations collateral including brand journalism content
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others within and outside the organization
- Must show a strong dedication and commitment to producing quality work
Salary: $50,000-$55,000 plus benefits DOQ
This position works primarily from the Chapter Office. Intermittent remote work is allowed and may be negotiated with the Executive Director.
Email cover letter, resume, and 2-3 communications, social media, or marketing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org . Include 2-3 references. Open until filled.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com