Associate Director, Associate Comms
Website Marriott Vacations Worldwide (MVW)
Marriott Vacations Worldwide (MVW) is seeking a seasoned communications professional to join a newly created Global Communications Center of Excellence that is focused on leading holistic and integrated communications strategy that builds brand and business reputation and maximizes impact among key stakeholders.
Reporting to the Director, Associate Communications, this role requires a professional with experience in internal and employee communications, executive communications, editorial strategy, and employer branding.
The Associate Director will lead and project manage programs to support the execution of the annual internal communications strategy and editorial calendar for the enterprise, supporting business goals and objectives to effectively reach MVW’s various employee audiences. This role will support the communications function by efficiently disseminating information on large-scale business projects and product transformations. In addition, the Associate Director will be responsible for devising strategies in partnership with the Director for associate publications and key associate forums and events to enhance and evolve company culture, like town halls and leadership summits designed to connect, inform, and inspire the workforce.
This position will also be responsible for developing strategies, executing tactics, and writing messages to sustain and improve overall associate experience and drive awareness of the MVW employee value proposition. Specifically, this role will direct the details of projects including partnering with stakeholders and internal clients, building project plans with appropriate deliverables, scheduling follow ups to share progress and remain on schedule, providing creative input and managing the review and approval processes. The AD will work closely with cross-functional department leaders and MVW’s brand and business stakeholders, including Interval International.
This position requires an ability to proactively develop and deliver holistic communications strategies and plans aligned to organizational goals and execute them with excellence and an eye toward organizational impact. This individual must have a passion for and experience in evolving and transforming the way a company executes internal communications, moving it from one of transaction to one of engagement, understanding, and productivity. The position is responsible for leading a team that executes day-to-day internal communications activities, content and programs, ensuring alignment of messages from the company and all of its businesses to our global associate audience. Experience working with a dispersed and field-based workforce is also beneficial as the communications to the company’s field-based associates will be a critical part of this leader’s role.
Success requires excellent oral and written communication skills, a resilient and solution-focused spirit, an ability to be a self-starter and serve as an integrator and trusted advisor. The candidate should have experience managing people, projects, and teams. This position will be a trusted advisor and will work cross-functionally to support business leaders to deliver results.
Specific Expected Contributions
INTERNAL COMMUNICATIONS STRATEGY (30%)
- Serve as a champion for change and cultural transformation, applying smart communication strategies to enable speed and effectiveness within the organization.
- Provide communication expertise, counsel, and support for major business initiatives including product transformations, reorganizations, policy changes, etc.
- Identify ongoing process to mind for internal storytelling opportunities of global associates.
- Identify, prioritize, and develop high-impact communications plans, campaigns, and tactics aligned to annual internal strategy.
- Draft messaging and develop communications materials to enhance communications, turning complex subjects and company strategies into stories told through multiple mediums that engage and inspire our associates.
EDITORIAL CONTENT CREATION AND PLANNING (30%)
- Work with Director of Associate Communications to develop processes and a protocol for internal, associate publications including a content strategy and editorial calendar for relevant content areas.
- Manage strategy for various internal communication channels and publications.
- Develop crisp and compelling communications that inform and engage associate while reinforcing our employment value proposition.
- Provide leadership expertise for initiatives within the assigned functional assignment (includes planning, implementation & evaluation).
- Provides program management excellence; keeps multiple projects and initiatives on budget and on schedule.
INTERNAL EVENTS AND INITAITVES (15%)
- Support internal approach for key associate forums and events to enhance and evolve company culture, like town halls and leadership summits designed to connect, inform, and inspire the workforce.
- Work with Director of Associate Communications to prepare senior leaders for key employee engagement opportunities (e.g., presentation materials, speeches, talking points).
- Oversee day-to-day execution of internal events and activities to engage associates.
- Partner with HR team to develop, drive and deliver employee experience initiatives forward through creative internal communication, which could include digital forums, talking points, FAQs.
TEAM AND STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT (15%)
- Maintain a focus on elevating team’s ability to think broadly and holistically about communications plans from concept to completion.
- Develop, lead and inspire the team, each responsible for defining and delivering communications and branded experiences.
- Create and foster career development and growth paths for team in alignment with company and personal objectives.
- Help disseminate enterprise-led communications and overarching messaging, measuring sentiment and modifying approach to drive increased awareness, understanding and pride across the organization.
- Accesses and synthesizes data from a variety of sources to formulate informed viewpoints on organizational issues on which he/she is called in to support.
- Implement appropriate metrics to track and measure progress toward strategic communication goals, focusing on continuous improvement.
- Proactively monitor and track effectiveness of internal communications channels, messaging, and programs, through analytics on tools like PoliteMail.
Specific Candidate Profile (the education, experience, skills and attributes that are important for this position)
- BA or BS Degree in Journalism, Communications, Talent/Organizational Development, or Human Resources.
- Change Management Professional and/or Project Manager certification preferred.
AP Style, Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe Creative Suite, Apple Keynote, proficient with Apple operating system
Travel required. Approximately 10% of time
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in related field.
- Proven experience delivering effective communications that deliver against our strategies, on time, on budget.
- Timeshare/hospitality/lodging industry experience a plus; MVW-specific knowledge an advantage.
- Prior experience leading operational communications a plus
- Prior experience in Public Relations and/or external messaging and projects is a plus
- Highly skilled in writing in a human voice that grabs the attention of busy associates and in developing content that presents company information in the same tone, formats and quality that associates find when consuming external social and traditional media
- Developed novel ways to engage distracted audiences through multimedia, strong voice and tone, unique formats and structures, and interactive elements
- Experience sourcing stories and developing a story pipeline across an industry or at a large organization
- Strong ability to synthesize large amounts of information and turn them into actionable insights or communications programs.
- Proven client-facing role experience working with teams on large scale, long-term projects.
- Excellent oral communication, writing and presentation skills with experience presenting to all levels throughout the organization.
- Ability to gracefully handle multiple projects in a fast-paced environment.
- Passionate attitude with willingness and enthusiasm to own your own growth.
- Must be a leader who can influence stakeholders in written and oral communications with exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal
- Excellent active listening skills
- Strong consulting skills with proven ability of interfacing with senior business leaders.
- Ability to clearly articulate messages to a variety of audiences and establish and maintain strong relationships
- Ability to influence others and move toward a common vision or goal
- Ability to establish credibility in subject matter areas and influence at all levels of the business.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships with a broad group of stakeholders to foster trust.
- Measurement skills related to assessment of information, initiatives, and strategies.
- Flexible and adaptable; able to work in ambiguous situations
- Resilient and tenacious with a propensity to persevere
- Forward looking with a holistic approach
- Organized with a natural inclination for planning strategy and tactics
- Problem solving and root cause identification skills
- Able to work effectively at all levels in an organization
- Effective presentation and facilitation skills required
- High degree of integrity in dealing with sensitive business information.
- Must be a team player and able to work collaboratively with and through others
- Acute business acumen including MVW’s unique culture and an understanding of organizational issues and challenges.
- Demonstrated passion for our associates and our Company’s vision, mission, and values.
To apply for this job please visit mymvw.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com.